Friday, February 19, 2010

The Journey Begins...

After 17 hours on a flight to Johannesburg, I am pooped! I think I slept for 6 hours on the plane!

On Thursday night the 30 of us traveled from Washington D.C. (where staging was held on Wednesday) to Johannesburg, South Africa. We did have a short layover in Dakar, Senegal (maybe an hour or so) but the flying time was 17 hours total. Longest flight EVER!!!! But... we flew South African Airways and there was plenty of space for your bags (Lord knows my bags are huge) and leg room :) We each also got our own personal television! Melatonin is my new best friend for helping me go to sleep while sitting upright and with people on either side of me!

South Africa is beautiful (from what I saw from the plane and from Johannesburg). The weather here is great! Our APCD (Associate Peace Corps Director) told us that it's currenly about 90 degrees F in Namibia. I guess tomorrow I will find out. It was in the low 80's when we got to Johannesburg tonight.

I am 7 hours ahead of you all in the USA right now. Tomorrow, however, I will only be 6 hours ahead of you :) Very covenient for phone calls from home (as soon as I get my number)!!!

Just know that I miss you all and I really appreciate your support while I begin this wonderful journey with the Peace Corps. I will try and update you again as soon as I can when I reach Namibia. Our flight is at 9:50am and is about 2 hours long. When you are waking up tomorrow, I will already be in Namibia! YAY!!

I'm sure we will speak again soon! Also, if you wish to email me, my address is kcwenar@yahoo.com or skype me at kcwenar.