Friday, March 5, 2010

Peanut Butter Heaven

Things are going very well here in Namibia. My host family is wonderful! Of course, since the last time I blogged I discovered some miscommunications. I do not have a host brother, just three host sisters and they all live at home. Abigail is 12, Memory is 16, and Nancy is almost 22. Nancy has a 3 year old son named Mackenzie. My mother (Florence) is a school teacher. Her niece, Supisu (I’m not 100% on that spelling) is 21 and lives with us too. So, that’s the fam! Mackenzie is afraid of me… and it’s so cute! He doesn’t speak any English so he never knows what I am saying. He has started to come around me more and he even high-fived me tonight! Wahoo!

Meals seem to be pretty standard Namibian food. We have either rice or pasta with each meal and some sort of meat, either chicken or sausage. The sausage here is GREAT!!! It ain’t no Jimmy Dean processed crap that you get in the frozen section of the supermarket. It’s real sausage! That being said, we all know what sausage is made of, but it is still the most delicious sausage I have ever tasted. Lunch is usually a sandwich and some fruit. I bring my lunch from home. So far I have had peanut butter sandwiches and cheese with lettuce sandwiches.

A quick tangent on peanut butter… Namibians think that Americans are smitten with peanut butter. I mean, peanut butter and jelly is something that we have all eaten as a child, but never did I think that our country had an obsession with peanut butter. When we met our host families for the first time last Wednesday, one of the trainers was talking about a balanced meal and what that meant. Of course, she made a comment on peanut butter and said something to the effect of:

“These Americans, they love their peanut butter. They put peanut butter on everything! They even take apple slices and put peanut butter on them!”

There was an overwhelming gasp from the host families.

For some reason, the thought of putting peanut butter on apple slices was just unheard of! Anyways, I guess my host family took the peanut butter chat to heart because since then, peanut butter has been on the table for more than one meal. Even when there is really nothing to put it on! For example, two nights ago we had sausage sandwiches for dinner, and what was placed next to me but the peanut butter jar. We might have to have a chat soon about what I like to eat peanut butter with :)

On Friday we drive to Windhoek so the rest of my group has to opportunity to purchase a cell phone. My number is posted on the right side of this page, so go buy a phone card and call me! As I have stated before, please remember that I am 7 hours ahead of you and as I much as I miss you all, I really like to sleep. The best times to call are between 6:30 and 7:30am my time (11:30pm-12:30am your time) or after 5pm my time (10am your time). I should have regular internet access after Friday because I will have MTC (the wireless company) set up internet on my phone! YAY!!! And I could possibly be purchasing a 3G modem (I think that’s what it’s called???) for my computer if there is a good deal so even more internet!!! MORE YAY!!!

Since we arrived in country over a week ago, we have received lots of candy! And by the word “candy”, I mean shots. We were all misled when the PCVL’s (3rd year volunteers) told us to expect tons of candy during PST. Yeah, I don’t like this kind of candy. So far, the list includes H1N1, Yellow Fever, Meningitis, Hep B 1, and the first 2 of the 3 rabies shots. 2 Hep A, the last rabies, and Typhiod Fever shots are left. Thank goodness I had some of these shots already! I didn’t need to get H1N1, Yellow Fever, or any of the Hep B shots. This type of candy is easy to pass on.

Well, I guess that’s all for now. Once I can actually say a sentence in Rukwangali, I will say something, but not much has changed in that department. Still on greetings!
Mbaa (Bye)

Take care everyone!